Blackhead Treatment in Etobicoke & Greater Toronto
What are Blackheads?
Blackheads are a very common type of acne (scientifically called an open comedone), and present as small, dark dots on the skin. These open bumps are filled with excess oil and dead skin, which causes the pore to be forced open and light to reflect off the clogged follicle. This is also paired with the process of the melanin-producing cells in your sebum oxidising when exposed to air through the open pore, which leads to a reaction that darkens these cells. Both of these processes make the lesion appear dark against the skin. Because they look dark, they have been given the name “blackheads.”
Blackheads themselves are a milder symptom than their acne cousins – whiteheads, pustules, and cysts – but they can cause irritation, inflammation, and redness if they are picked at or “popped.” These annoying little dots can occur anywhere on the body, mostly where you have oil (sebaceous) glands, including your armpits, back, shoulders, and booty! However, they are predominantly on the nose, chin, and forehead, and can be stressful for an individual who does not know how to treat them. The most annoying part? Blackhead congestion can appear without any other signs of acne.
If you have blackheads, you’re certainly not one in a million! While blackheads most frequently affect teenagers and adolescents going through hormonal changes, up to 40% of people have them well into adulthood. Some research even suggests that nearly every person is affected by blackheads at some point during their lives. Don’t worry! There are some great treatments that can reduce the incidence of unsightly breakouts across your beautiful skin, and we are here to help!
What Causes Blackheads?
These unsightly bumps occur when a hair follicle or gland becomes clogged with sebum, dead skin cells, or bacteria and the oils that are meant to naturally drain through these open follicles get blocked up with all the other gunk too! Although this is the basis of what causes that blackhead, there are some factors that can affect the frequency and severity of a breakout.
The biggest factor to consider is your hormones; some hormones fluctuate during periods of growth, like your teenage years and adolescence, during pregnancy, with cycles of your period during the month, and even with increased stress, and all these changing hormones affect the production of sebum, which is a major contributor to the clogging of your pores. Interestingly gross, right?
Those of us with oily or combination skin might be more likely to experience congested pores which lead to blackheads, as they have more of that sebum that is a major contributor to pore blockages. Pore size can also play a role in the development of blackheads, as larger pores have more room for gunk, and appear as larger blackheads on the surface of the skin. The thing about blackheads though, is that virtually all skin types, pore sizes, and ages can suffer from these annoying little bumps! There’s no magic spell that can predict when and where a blackhead can form, but preventative techniques can help!
Besides internal and hormonal factors, some environmental factors can affect sebum production as well. Humid and hot weather can really increase the amount of sebum your body produces as it tries to protect itself from the weather. This explains why we seem to break out in more blackheads in warmer months, and when we travel to warmer locales than our normal environment. But is there a way to have fun in the sun WITHOUT worrying about unsightly bumps on our cutest features?
What Can be Done
Blackheads can unfortunately seem like a consistent, never-ending personal issue and while more common in teenagers, can begin at any time in your life. Left untreated, a small area of blackhead breakout can turn into a larger, more inflamed area that could take longer to treat. Even worse, attempting to ‘fix’ your blackhead problem yourself via squeezing, pulling, scrubbing, and popping can lead to some problems which include:
- Not being able to remove the entire blackhead: leaving even a small portion of the clog can increase irritation and increase a clog, having the lesion come back bigger than ever!
- A door works both ways; when you squeeze to try to get clog out, you also risk introducing more blackhead-causing bacteria, dirt, and oils in the follicle which again, can lead to a spread of your breakout and more painful bumps!
- Working too hard with your nails (which despite how hard you try aren’t always the cleanest), or other strong abrasive instruments can cause micro tears in your skin surrounding the offending bump, which can lead to infection, irritation, and permanent scarring! Don’t let a little blackhead lead you down this path, as these issues are far more difficult to treat.
- Pushing the clog even further into your follicle: this is a surefire way to increase painful inflammation and irritation on your skin which can lead to? You guessed it, MORE BLACKHEADS!
To decrease the chance of having larger angry breakouts and permanent damage to the look of your pores, getting professional advice and help is the best place to begin.
At Laserlicious, we offer a great variety of options to treat those pesky blackheads – including advice, home care, products, and treatment plans – that match your lifestyle, skin type and needs. It usually takes a combination of treatments and products to find the best regime, but at their basis professional assessment and treatments can significantly reduce the incidence of blackheads and help you maintain clearer skin.
What Blackhead treatments are
available at Laserlicious?
At Laserlicious, we have a great mix of effective treatments that help our clients reduce blackheads and prevent new ones. Our highly-skilled medical aestheticians use their experience and training along with cutting-edge research and techniques to help you blast those blackheads and keep them away! We mostly recommend one or more of these solutions used together in an overall treatment plan to banish blackheads for good. The best news? We have treatments for all ages, and teenagers can benefit from our expertise and services.
Topical At-home Solutions
Home is where the heart is, and it’s also a great place to start combating blackheads! With the right products, blackhead formations can be prevented, slowed, and reduced. Some of the products we have in stock include:
- AlumierMD Enzymatic Peel – A highly effective exfoliator mask that combines 10% lactic acid with fruit enzymes to exfoliate dead skin cells which are big contributors to pore congestion.
- Dr. Schrammek Black Clearing Mask – Helps to prevent blemishes and the formation of impurities with natural-activated carbon that deeply clarifies the skin as it draws impurities, releasing pores from dirt and debris. Also calms inflammation and reduces excess oils and shine from skin, leaving the skin looking clearer, radiant and with a matte finish.
- AlumierMD Bright & Clear Solution – A refreshing skin-conditioning solution that refines skin complexion and enhances cell renewal while lactic acid and caviar lime gently exfoliate cellular debris to brighten and improve skin texture.
- Hydropeptide Balancing Mask – This de-stressing and firming clay mask contains potent antioxidants and hydrating Jojoba Seed and Olive Fruit Oils. Lactic acid gently whisks away dull, dead skin cells while protective and lifting peptides fortify for unbelievably calm and smooth skin.
- AlumierMD Matticlear – A lightweight oil-absorbing serum that helps improve the appearance of oily skin, and reduces shine, while an innovative microparticle complex absorbs excess sebum to create an immediate mattifying effect.
- AlumierMD Hydralight – This moisturizer is a light and water-based formula that nourishes and improves skin texture, while sodium hyaluronate deeply hydrates the skin, niacinamide nourishes, and aloe has calming, soothing properties.
- Dr. Schrammek Clear Skin Silver Fluid – Targets the key factors of impure skin. Micro-silver prevents the formation of blackhead-causing bacteria while lactic acid opens the pores and blackheads disappear. At the same time aloe vera lends moisture leaving the skin soft and smooth.
What are the best spa or clinic treatments for blackheads in the greater Toronto area?
The techniques and treatments we recommend for your blackheads and congested skin will depend on your skin type and sensitivity, lifestyle, budget, and other considerations that your medical aesthetician will understand and ask about. Not all blackhead breakouts are the same, and we know how to assess your skin and create unique plans that would combat them best!
Our well-researched and tested range of blackhead treatments include but are not limited to tried and true techniques and cutting-edge treatments.
- Microdermabrasion – A classic and simple technique that uses a special applicator with an abrasive surface to gently sand away the thick outer layer of the skin and remove dead skin cells to renew and rejuvenate skin. When the old layer of the skin is removed, clogged pores are exposed and are easier to clear, and activated serums and helpful enzymes can make contact with lower layers of skin leading to a more efficient uptake of helpful nutrients.
- Hydrafacial – This revolutionary treatment is safe for all skin types and uses a unique Vortex Fusion delivery system to exfoliate, extract and hydrate the skin. The spiral design of the tips creates a vortex effect that easily removes impurities and delivers PAINLESS EXTRACTIONS of blackheads while providing hydrating skin solutions. The best part? There’s no downtime so you can treat and go, with clearer skin!
- Specialty Targeting Facials – Utilizing world-renowned skincare brands like HydroPeptide, and effective tools, these medi-facials combine proper extractions, enzymes, and pore-refining enzymes to improve skin texture, safely remove existing blackheads, and balance oil production, leaving you with an overall deeply-exfoliated glow clear of congested pores.
- V Carbon Peel – This ‘detox’ peel uses a combination of pure activated carbon, antioxidants, and exfoliating agents to remove impurities and dead skin cells from deep within pores and pulls toxins to the surface of the skin while absorbing excess oil. The natural ingredients brighten and purify skin by stimulating collagen production, improving skin texture and refining pores, thus stopping blackheads before they can begin!
- Chemical Peels – An acid-based solution is applied to the skin, leading to exfoliation, loosening, and removal of the upper layers of the skin to reveal healthy new skin below. Removing the gunk and boosting the growth of new healthy skin cells is paramount to stopping a blackhead breakout in its tracks and helping prevent the formation of new ones.
Our highly-trained medical aestheticians have seen all kinds of blackhead breakouts, skin types, pore sizes, and texture, and will give you honest and helpful advice in collaboration with you. Using the information you provide – as well as the look and feel of your skin – we can help you develop a skin care routine, recommend products, and suggest a customized package for in-clinic treatments. This is where we can best assess your skin type and texture and answer any questions you may have. Just ask!
Contact Us to Book Your Complimentary Treatment Consultation
What Can Treat Blackheads?
There are treatments available to treat, battle and clear up blackheads. Facials help with blackheads as they provide deep cleansing for the skin, especially if the skin is congested. Extractions are done during the facials and light therapy is provided to minimize pores and smoothen out the skin. Chemical peels work differently than facials, peels provide deep exfoliation and removal of dead skin. Chemical Peels can be customized in type and in strength depending on the skin’s needs. Microneedling infuses ingredients such as hyaluronic acid to promote cell renewal and collagen production which is essential for clear, smooth and healthy looking skin.
Click the links below to learn more about the treatments we offer
Our Medi facials provide deep cleansing and extractions to reveal clear, smooth skin, ingredients such as pumpkin enzymes are used to clarify the skin and minimize pores.
Chemical Peels provides deep cleansing, improves pores, skin texture and smoothes out uneven skin tone to reveal healthier looking skin.
Microneedling causes controlled micro injury to the skin to promote cell renewal, and helps to treat scarring, uneven skin tone, and promotes collagen for younger radiant skin.
Green Peel is a natural organic peeling and deep exfoliating treatment that works on the deeper level of the skin to reduce the appearance of wrinkles improving skin texture and reveal clear healthy skin.
HydraFacial is a non-invasive facial treatment that deeply cleanses, exfoliates and extracts impurities through the patented Vortex Suction technology. Using mild acids, exfoliating enzymes and peptides. There is absolutely no downtime with HydraFacial, just instant glowing results.
Microdermabrasion is a technique that uses a special applicator with an abrasive surface to gently sand away the thick outer layer of the skin and remove dead skin cells to renew and rejuvenate skin. The healing process brings with it newer skin cells that look and feel smoother. Some of the skin’s visible imperfections, like sun damage, blemishes, black heads and fine lines, are significantly reduced.
Consultations are always complimentary.
Book an appointment to come in and discuss any concerns, have your questions answered, and, most importantly, see if you feel comfortable. We want to be part of your journey to healthy, clear and radiant skin.
Why Choose Us
Why Choose Laserlicious for Your Next Facial
In Toronto, Etobicoke & the GTA
Because we choose YOU. Every time, no matter your circumstances or your unique skin care needs, we will choose to help you to the best of our skills and abilities as our top priority. WE LISTEN. We want the best outcome for you, and will strive to advise and educate you in all aspects of your skin care journey, be it pre-treatment plans, at-home products, laser hair removal schedules, or in-depth facial treatment programs, we are here for you and will listen to you before offering our honest assessment. WE ARE WELCOMING. That isn’t just in location, which is convenient to all of the GTA, but in the small personal ways that make you sure you’re in the right place. Our treatments are for ALL clients, and because we love your skin, we will help you develop a plan that suits you best. We are recognized as among the best. WE ARE AWARDED for our top-notch care, hygienic environment, and relaxing atmosphere while providing the best results. WE ARE DISCRETE. Whether it’s finally removing that skin tag, or inquiring about brightening your intimate areas, we are private, non-judgmental, and can explain the process in the most comfortable way possible. WE ARE LASERLICIOUS, and we can’t wait to meet you!
The Highest Standards In Laser, Body, Skin Care And Beauty Treatments
- All Products Are Health Canada and FDA Approved
- Natural Looking Results
- Experienced and fully trained medical aestheticians
- All systems and products onsite are Medical Grade
- Easily Accessible to all of the GTA
- We offer honest opinions in order to provide our clients with the knowledge to make an educated decision
- We treat all skin types including darker skin and sensitive skin
- We care about our clients
Meet Our Founder And Head Aesthetician
Say hello to Rana Andriya, Head Aesthetician and Founder of Laserlicious, the award-winning medical spa located in the heart of the GTA. With over 17 years of experience, Rana has and continues to provide the latest and greatest services for all her clientele with care, detail, and integrity.
Rana’s medical aesthetics career grew from the modest desire to learn, and after her initial certifications she worked at various training institutions providing superior service and results for all her clients. It is through this time being a mentor and teacher that Rana’s personal vision of client care and service grew. While starting small with one room for laser and skin treatments, and a vast store of knowledge and experience, Rana’s special relationship with her clients and her honest and client-first approach began to grow. Eventually both her experience and client base became too big for a single room, so with the encouragement of her family and clients, and her ambition to see her vision come to life, Rana made the move to expand into a larger location. Within months her new business – named Laserlicious – had flourished with the addition of new clients, aestheticians, and top-notch support staff.
The top priority of Laserlicious comes from Rana herself; the creation of a space where everybody can get quality treatment, excellent results, and sensitive, detailed care. Rana believes that the collaboration of aestheticians with aestheticians, aestheticians with clients, and clients with the clinic is paramount to create a helpful, judgment-free space where client care is transparent, fair, and current.
As Rana and the whole proud team at Laserlicious strive for excellence, the road to success constantly changes as the industry evolves almost daily. A big believer in updated and regular training, researching new technologies and products, and keeping her staff up to date with new treatments, feel secure in the fact that Rana and Laserlicious are prepared to provide the absolute best for you and your skin.
Meet Our Founder And Head Aesthetician
Meet Rana Andriya, head aesthetician and owner of Laserlicious, a medical spa located in the heart of the GTA. With over fifteen years of experience, Rana has and continues to provide the latest and greatest services for all her clients with care and integrity.
Coming from humble beginnings, she started working at various educational schools providing superior service and results for all her clients. By being a mentor and teacher, it gave the experience and knowledge for Rana to further succeed in her career. With all the knowledge she has accumulated; she ventured on her own with one room giving laser hair removal and skin treatments for her clients. After several years of being a one-woman show, she made the bold move and expanded to a larger location under the new name Laserlicious. Within months of the opening she saw the business flourish with new clients and staff.
Creating a space where people can get quality treatments, excellent results and also feel like the clients are being taken care of has always been Rana’s top priority; not just as an aesthetician but as a successful business owner.
As she continues to strive for perfection, the road to success has been an extraordinary one. With the industry constantly evolving, new technologies and products being introduced almost on the daily, it hasn’t deterred Rana from doing her job which is providing the absolute best for her clients.
Years in Service
Cups of Coffee
Areas We Serve
Centrally Located in Etobicoke and serving the Greater Toronto Area
- Kingsview Village
- The Westway
- Martin Grove Gardens
- Richmond Gardens
- Centennial Park
- West Dean Park
- Glen Agar
- The Kingsway
- Centennial Park
- New Toronto
- Humber Bay
- Long Branch
- Eglinton West
- Humber Heights
- York University Heights
- Jane and Finch
- Vaughan Mills
- Mt. Olive